lørdag 1. januar 2011

Witch in the Woods

Posted by: MasterOfUnlocking

The first part of this story comes from some secondhand experience, while I was present for the second part, although I wish I wasn't.

I used to live in Washington State right in the foothills of the west side of the Cascade Mountains. This was around three years ago, June or July after my senior year in highschool. That spring, my highschool jazz band went down to Disneyland to play a concert and one day, the guitar player was telling his brother and me about this weird house that he and his friends had gone up to a couple times on Cougar Mountain. He said that the minute you get close at all, this horrible screaming would start. The first time he went up there it scared him off. The second, he was able to ignore it and take a walk around the house to get a better look at it. The house was little more than a shack, he said, with boarded up doors and windows. The only look he got at any inhabitants was this old lady that peered over one of the wood planks. He said the screaming never stopped, but when he saw her face, it was clearly not she who was making the noise. He told us that she was a witch.

I didn't believe him.

That summer, I was working at a party supply store when the phone rang. It was a friend of mine, Tom, who had heard the story. He told me that after I was done working, he and I would go up to the house and see ourselves. I wasn't doing anything else that night, so I agreed. After I closed up the store, I saw him in his truck waiting for me. I got in and we headed up towards the mountain. At first there wasn't much to mention, just a zoo, a school, and housing developments. After a while though, things seemed a little less normal. Most striking was that we hit a point after the housing that all the plant life died. We looked around and we could not see any green in the forest on either side of the road. A little creepy, especially for summer. We kept on heading up the mountain and eventually came to a dead end. After a little looking around, we found a gravel road, barely wide enough to fit his truck.

After turning into the road, we could see the end of it, and we could see that it went nowhere. All around the road were dead trees and plants. It took us a few seconds of looking until we saw a pallet laying on the ground inside the woods direcly outside the driver's side. I turned on a flashlight that we had brought along and saw a little wooden sign, pounded into the ground that said, "Leave Parcels Here. Don't Come Into Woods." To the left of the pallet and sign I saw signs of a makeshift path into the woods. I told Tom to roll his window down and I shined the flashlight down the path as far as it would go. The light revealed a shack, probably not 20 feet from us. The windows and doors were boarded up. In front of the house was an old car. It was covered in rust and it looked like it had no tires, from what I could tell. The passenger side window was shattered and it looked like some kind of cans were poaring out from the interior. I turned off the flashlight and Tom suggested that we get out of the car and look around.

Then we heard the scream. It was more horrible then it was ever described to me. It sounded like two women, and did not stop for over a minute although it was completely unchanging in volume or pitch.

I immediately turned my light back on and looked around the car. Slightly in the woods in front of us was an old lady dressed in an extremely dirty white dress just standing. I yelled at Tom to get us out of there, and he tried to find his keys. The lady just stood there amidst the screams, although her mouth was shut tight in a scowl. Tom finally found his keys and started the car. When the headlights went on, the old lady began to walk towards us, slowly. With every step, her left hand rose slightly, seemingly to reach out for the car, or us. I couldn't take my eyes off her as Tom backed up, and out of the gravel road. As soon as we were back on the road, speeding away from that house in the woods, I saw the woman appear at the gravel enterance, only to turn back, finally ending the screams.

Neither of us ever went back.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar